WCRC in the News
HOT TOPICS 2014: Breast Cancer 1 - MedPage Today
Studies say some cancer treatments can be skipped - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Congratulations go to the following investigators for each receiving a UPCI pilot grant ($5k):
- Xin Huang “Identification of co-factors for hypoxia-inducible factors”.
- Yi Huang and William Laframboise “Role of LSD2 in Epigenetic Gene Silencing in Breast Cancer”
- Carola Neumann, Carolyn Anderson and Stephen Thorne “Generation of an in vivo syngeneic mouse model to monitor the contribution of Prdx1-function in breast cancer metastasis”.
$11 million grant given to fight ovarian cancer - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Best Places to Work Academia 2013 - The Scientist
3-D breast biopsies offer new hope in fight against cancer - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
First 3D guided biopsy done at Magee - Pittsburgh Business Times
Could big data beat breast cancer? - Healthcare IT News
Congratulations to Rebecca Watters, Breast Cancer Research Program, Post-doctoral fellowship award for “SRC Selectively Promotes Bone Metastasis”.
Study finds increase in younger women with advanced-stage breast cancer - WTAE.com
Dr. McGuire interview
Congratulations to Hannah Rabinowich, PhD, Professor of Pathology & Immunology, who received refunds for research from the Breast Cancer Coalition.
January Grant award congratulations go to:
- Dr. Steffi Oesterreich DOD (CDMRP) Ovarian Cancer “Understudied orphan receptors - Novel treatment targets in ovarian cancer?”
- Dr. Richard Steinman DOD (CDMRP) Breast Cancer “Real-Time Visualization and Manipulation of the Metastatic Trajectory of Breast Cancer Cells”
- Dr. Xin Huang (American Cancer Society, Research Scholar Grant) ”The Mechanism of miR-210 Regulating Cellular Metabolism and Tumorigenesis” and Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF) Liz Tilberis Scholar Grant “Novel Strategy of Metabolic Targeting Ovarian Cancer: Focusing on the Tumor Hypoxia Pathway”.
Breast Cancer: A Journey For Recovery - TribLIVE
Adrian Lee, PhD received proclamation from the Major for breast cancer awareness month on behalf of MWRI/WCRC, Panera, and YWBCAF.
Big rise found in preventive mastectomies - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Gretchen Ahrendt, MD, featured on the rise in contralateral prophylactic mastectomy.
Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition Conference
Dr. Nancy Davidson receives 2012 Potamkin Award from the PA breast cancer coalition. This award carries a $10,000 prize and is presented to an outstanding leader of the breast cancer research community.
Development of WCRC
New program targets breast, ovarian cancer - Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Recruitment of Dr. Adrian V. Lee as Director of WCRC
Prominent breast cancer researcher Adrian Lee leads Women's Cancer Research Center
UPCI Appoints Director of Newly Formed Women's Cancer Research Center
Recruitment of Steffi Oesterreich, PhD as Director of Education in the WCRC
UPCI Appoints Director of Education in Newly Formed Women's Cancer Research Center
Pitt cancer institute names Steffi Oesterreich director of education