Contact & Scheduling
MRI and PET Modalities
For more information about preclinical MRI fees and services, contact:
H. Michael Gach, PhD
For more information about clinical MRI and/or PET-CT fees and services, or to schedule a consultation or imaging procedure, contact:
UPMC Cancer Pavilion
5150 Centre Avenue, 1A
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
For more information about preclinical PET-CT fees and services, or to schedule a consultation, contact:
Carolyn J. Anderson, PhD
100 Technology Drive Suite 452F
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Optical Imaging and Ultrasound Modalities
The optical imaging and ultrasound modalities are available for use by UPCI, University of Pittsburgh, and non-university members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The laboratory is primarily set up as a certified user facility, at a rate of $45/hour. A fee-for-service support is also provided as needed.
The following guidelines are in place to facilitate the successful use of these services by investigators:
- The director provides consultation for investigators to define the best model(s) and imaging modality(ies) to achieve their experimental goals.
- Personnel provide hands-on training and technical support for users of the imaging platform and the associated anesthesia machine. First-time users are urged to schedule a short training session prior to use, or to arrange for a trained user to be present during the first imaging session.
- All users must complete a Payment Authorization Form prior to first use.
- Personnel are responsible for maintenance, repair, service, and certification of the imaging system, and for maintaining adequate supplies of certain reagents associated with imaging, such as anesthetic.
- In addition, the optical imaging modality also provides a centralized ordering system to allow bulk orders of reagents at reduced prices for investigators. For example, luciferin is available for purchase at $310 for 1g (a $200 saving negotiated by the facility for users).
Optical Imaging and Ultrasound Scheduling
The optical imaging and ultrasound equipment can be booked through the DLAR website on the University of Pittsburgh web portal (alongside booking of procedure rooms within the facility). Users must have a valid IACUC protocol for access to the DLAR scheduling website.
Utilization of the optical and ultrasound modalities are available to all UPCI members and the research community on a first come, first served basis. Unless appointments are cancelled 24 hours in advance of the scheduled time, the customer's account will be charged for one (1) hour of time.
For further information or assistance, please contact:
Stephen H. Thorne, PhD